Monday, September 2, 2013

3 Day Zombie Movie Fest Weekend! - my thoughts on.... 'Cockneys vs Zombies'

A zombie movie fest? It was bound to happen. I've had several zombie movies in my queue, waiting to be seen. However, I just wasn't in the right state of mind to watch them and I didn't have the time. But, with the 3 day weekend upon me.... I figured there was no time like the present! So I fired up Netflix and away we go!

The poster I used for this review reads: "A mad rollicking mash up of 'Shaun of the Dead' and 'Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels'". I couldn't agree more. Perhaps I would've used 'Snatch' instead, but it's a similar sentiment. This movie feels like a hybrid of the two and almost a perfect combination at that. It takes equal parts of both movies and blends them together into a zombie/comedy/heist/action movie. One of the biggest selling points of this little gem is the superb acting of Alan Ford. He channels his character Brick Top from 'Snatch' and reminds us just exactly how bad ass he is. I honestly don't know if this movie would have worked as well, if it wasn't for him. Granted, the other characters are all likable and funny and charming and all of that.... but not like him. This movie also stands out, because it throws more old people into the mix. This is something we don't see much in zombie movies. The elderly. How would they react? How would someone who's life is nearly over, react to the end of the world? This also gives us a whole new angle on a bank heist. *possible spoilers?* What if you went into a bank to rob it, came out to find the cops waiting, went back inside the bank only to come back out to a zombie apocalypse? This answers that question. Hilariously.

Also, *possible spoilers?* How do you kill a zombie with a plate in their head?

I've kind of already detailed out the plot, but here it is again.... in case your missed it: This British movie is about a group of inept criminals who decide to rob a bank so they can save their grandfather's retirement home from being demolished by developers. Meanwhile on another building site some workers dig up an old graveyard and they get bitten by the "undead" which sets off a chain reaction. Then the bank robbers are cornered by the police while in the process of the robbery, but when they exit they find that they are all dead as a result of the horde of zombies. They have to get to the retirement home before the zombies do! (taken from IMDB.com) That's basically the movie in a nutshell. The old folks are hold up in a kitchen, until the youngsters come to their rescue. That's everything but the ending.

I honestly have no complaints with this movie. There was a lot of time and love put into the script, casting and zombie effects. The comedy is sharp and witty. The action if well done and still comical. The casting choices are all spot on. The locations are brilliant. And.... the fact that they're Cockney's just adds a whole different level of awesome. This is one that I would put on the 'must see' list of recent zombie movies. The only reason you might not like it, is if you like your zombie movies dark and violent. This one ain't quite like that. Everything about this movie makes me smile and I'm honestly ready to take the trip all over again. I think this will find it's way into the hearts and minds of a lot of zombie lovers. I also can see it heading to the short list of recent cult classics. This movie hits all the right notes.

If you see very few zombies movies these days, out of the fear of being let down. Have no fear, this one won't let you down. I loved this movie and will be adding it to my collection, sooner rather that later. I keep trying to think of any complaints I might have about 'Cockneys vs Zombies', but I just can't come up with one. Alan Ford, alone, is worth the price of admission! That's really all I have to say about that. Go. Watch. Now!

4 out of 5 stars

If you like this, watch: 'Shaun of the Dead', 'Snatch' and 'Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels'

No comments:

Post a Comment