Wednesday, September 11, 2013

'40 Going On 14'.... What is it?

What is '40 Going On 14' you might ask? Well, it's quickly becoming a bit of an obsession. I think my cousin, fellow blogger and podcaster, Josh, summed it up best on his blog:

"....I post when I want to, not because I need to anymore. I've come to terms with that. I like these outlets to be a labor of love, not one purely of obligation, because the content is always better when I'm inspired, rather than required to create it. The collaboration I've found in this podcast, called '40 Going On 14'... well, it is inspiring."

That's the same way I've felt, ever since this started: 'inspired'. Granted, it's only been a week since we first recorded, but sometimes that all it takes. A kick in the ass, a push off the cliff, someone to push on the gas and the next thing you know.... you're doing 90 in a 55 mph zone. That's exactly what this has been, a whirlwind of creativity. It's just something that you don't find very often.

The podcast consists of myself, Pat, Josh and Mike. The four of us originally met in college nearly two decades ago. In the years since then, we have talked about and talked about all of these grand plans for amazing things. However, the four of us never could seem to get anything off the ground. Call it the apathy of youth or just general laziness, I don't know. But here we are, almost 40 and finally feeling like it's time to crap or get off the pot. My wife has been wondering what's taken us so long. Honestly, I think we all needed to live our lives and cultivate our own interests and grow and mature and get married and junk. That way we could come back together like a super mega ultra Zord of geekiness.... we compliment each other in such a way that we make one ultra nerd.

Pictured above: Josh in blue, Me in green and Pat in orange during a production of 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

Don't you already have a podcast? Why yes, yes I do. I have two of them. But this is different. 'The Sunshine Happy Kpants Hour' is all about me and some amazing music. 'The Undercover Unitards' is a straight up comedy show. '40 Going On 14' is nostalgia, wrapped in geek life and culture, wrapped in 4 guys who're "brothers from another mother". It's a show that helps those of us who are kids at heart, but with knee problems.... cope with growing older and seeing things from both sides of the coin. It's a love song to years gone by and things yet to come. It's a chance for the four of us to do what we've always done, but to share it with the listener. We each have our own skill sets and specialties. We all have different backgrounds and upbringings. We all see the world in a slightly different way. It creates a comprehensive study on everything from video games, movies, music, television and role playing games to growing older, getting married, having kids and being single in the great state of Texas.

This is what we've been building towards all of these years. A chance to get together every week and take a break from real life. A chance to talk about the stuff that we're passionate about and not be ashamed to let our freak flag fly. I think that our hope with the show, is to allow everyone else to have that same break from reality. There's no judgement here. We're all big kids at heart, who still like to play with toys.

Pictured above: Mike and Pat.... sharing a grape.

There's really not much more I can say, that I haven't said already. If you like anything that you've read in this post, then check us out. Give us 1 hour of your time, I think you'll like what you hear. I'm really proud of what we've put created. It's just like those long nights of sitting around the dorm and talking about nothing specific and everything in general. I've included a direct link to stream it on Talkshoe. You can find it at the bottom of this post. We're available for download, as well, through: Bluberry, Stitcher, iTunes and other fine podcasting directories. Along with the weekly podcast, we'll be posting blogs and other fun stuff online. You can find that stuff on our Facebook page, Twitter and http://www.40go14.com. Thank you for your time and look for a new episode to drop this next Sunday! I love these guys and I think you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment