Sunday, June 5, 2011

my very brief thoughts on.... 'Sleeping With The Enemy' (1991)

I loved the 90's. It was some of the best times for me growing up. Sadly, it wasn't the best time for movies. There were quite a few of those pesky sexy, revenge thrillers being made and this was one of them. It starred an up and coming starlet named Julia Roberts and a cast of other people. It was based on a book and just plain wasn't very good. I started watching it while at work on my lunch break and felt compelled to finish it. Luckily it was OnDemand from Netflix. I took it upon myself to finish it once I got home and I kind of wish I would have watched 'Everybody Loves Raymond' instead.... and I don't even know if I like that show as I've never actually watched it. This movie had a couple of redeeming qualities, but overall it was kind of a big bust. It felt like I was staring at a glass house, there was all of these things inside but I saw them all early on and there weren't any surprises. This movie was so predictible that I kind of wonder if the book was even worth reading. It must have had something going for it since Hollywood felt it needed to be brought to the big screen. Maybe it was just a reason to keep Julia Roberts in the limelight? Who knows....

The really easy to figure out plot goes like this, according to http://www.imdb.com: "Laura and Martin have been married for four years. They seem to be the perfect, happiest and most successful couple. The reality of their house- hold, however, is very different. Martin is an abusive and brutally obsessed husband. Laura is living her life in constant fear and waits for a chance to escape. She finally stages her own death, and flees to a new town and new identity. But when Martin finds out that his wife is not dead he will stop at nothing to find and kill her." Can you guess how it ends? I bet you can if you think really hard.

I'm not going to go as far as to say that I wish I had the time back that I used watching this. It wasn't as terrible as all of that. It's just that it felt like a carbon copy of every other movie of this kind that was made in the 90's. Also, can we get an ending that the audience doesn't see coming from 1000 miles away? The good stuff in this movie are Julia Roberts, the pacing of the movie and the cinematography. The bad stuff is the acting, the script and everything else. Does anyone see a 'Sleeping With The Enemy 2: Weekend At Martin Burney's' being made sometime later this year? I'm guessing that Lindsay Lohan might be available to take over the Julia Roberts role.

Because of the good things, I gave it 2 out of 5 stars. It's kind of interesting to see the rise of a superstar. It did hold my interest until the end and I'm guessing that there are a lot of folks out there that love this movie. It may have been predictable, but it was still better than the Jennifer Lopez versions of these kinds of movies that came out later. Ugh. SPOILER: you don't actually see any sleeping during the movie by Julia Roberts.... with or without the enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment