Sunday, June 5, 2011

my very brief thoughts on.... 'Maniac Cop 3: Badge of Silence'

What in the heck was I thinking in watching this? Any movie which stars Robert Davi in the lead can't be good. Any movie that has Robert Z'Dar as your lead villan can't be good. Well, this movie isn't any good. It might have had some redeeming qualities if I had watched it with friends, but I didn't. I think what surprises me the most is that both William Lustig, the director, and Larry Cohen, the writer, both worked on all three movies and thought it was a good idea to MAKE all three movies! They've also been considering re-booting the series.... seriously? The first one was bad enough, you'd think that would be enough to cause a lack of funding for the other two movies. Nope. (You can see an early role as a drug addicted thief played by Jackie Earle Haley.... you can also see him killed with a highly illogical gun choice for a cop.) Anyway....

Here's the plot according to http://www.imdb.com: "A female cop is gunned down and wrongly accused of using excessive force in a hostage rescue attempt. Maniac cop returns from the dead once more to seek revenge, destroying everthing and anyone that stands in his way." Or something like that.

I can't even begin to say how hard it was to finish this movie. It was painful to sit through the flaming car chase at the end. You'd think a flaming car chase with a zombie cop and Robert Davi as a grizzled cop would be cool? Not even close. There just isn't anything worthwhile about this movie. Granted, there might be a few laughs to be found if you're drunk enough.... I wasn't. I assume this will be the end of this series. I can only hope that no one gives them money to re-boot it. I just can't see how in the hell this series could be re-done in any way that would make it a good movie. I just can't.

1 out of 5 stars. I'm assuming the 1 star is for Jackie Earle Haley's performance and the hand grabbing the badge through the coffin bit, but that's it. I do not recommend that you watch this. It is available OnDemand from Netflix right now. That doesn't make it okay to watch it, it just makes it more easily available. I never would have thought that a zombie movie would bum me out this much, ah well.

No comments:

Post a Comment