Saturday, October 15, 2011

A Short List Of Movies Or Films Without Full Reviews: part 8

As a lover of cinema, I watch a lot of stuff. Sadly, I don't have the time, energy or even desire to write reviews for everything I see. Rather than to just continue to let these movies sit on a list, I've decided to post them here with a rating and maybe a little word or two. If you trust my judgement or agree with me on my decisions, then maybe this will be helpful to you in finding some keen new stuff to watch. I think it will also free up my mind a bit to see a much shorter list of things to review in the future. That being said, here we go!

--------

Mutant Girls Squad

If you've ever had the feeling that you've seen everything and that there's nothing new under the sun, then you haven't seen 'Mutant Girls Squad'. I won't say that it's 100% original, as it feels and acts very much like 'Machine Girl' or Robo-Geisha'. However, that doesn't mean it's without some charm. Especially when the lead character is lamenting her father's death, as his disembodied head is floating around on a birthday cake. Yeah, you heard me right. 3 out of 5 stars, for creativity.

--------

Mars Needs Moms

I don't know what to really say about this movie and that's why it ended up in this long list of movies, rather than having it's own blog entry. It wasn't a bad movie, it just wasn't good. I didn't really care about the characters and it just all felt so.... bland. I wouldn't waste my time. 2 out of 5 stars.

--------

Spooky Buddies

Any "movie" that starts off with 5 puppies being killed in the first 10 minutes, isn't probably going to be any good. I wonder why these "movies" are even still being made. This was clunky, poorly written, slow and unevenly paced, boring, unfunny, not cute, dark and just plain garbage. I do not recommend this for any reason what so ever. 1 out of 5 stars, I guess.

--------

Leatherheads

I enjoyed this movie, both times I've seen it. John Krasinski is hard not to like and I've said for years that George Clooney is the modern incarnation of Cary Grant. This is a fun little throwback to the goofy comedies of the black and white era. The pace of the comedy and the style reminds me of 'His Girl Friday'. This movie may not be for everyone, but I think it's damn fun.... pally. 3 out of 5 stars.

--------

American Scary

If you ever stayed up too late and saw a terrible movie on your local station, it was probably hosted by a horror host. If you've never seen one, you're missing out. This documentary pays tribute to all of those hosts of years past. A must see for anyone who loves b-grade horror and cheezy monsters. 3 out of 5 stars.

--------

Zone of the Dead aka Apocalypse of the Dead

This wasn't as bad as it could've been, but it also wasn't very good. If you're a die hard zombie fan, you might appreciate certain aspects of it.... but overall, not recommended. The end was a bit vague and strange. 2 out of 5 stars.

--------

Rio

The kids liked this one quite a bit. In my opinion, it was very formulaic and not original. It was pretty to look at and maybe worth one watch.... but not a classic by any stretch. 3 out of 5 stars.

--------

Aliens In The Attic

Well, this might have a little of something for everyone. Plenty of slapstick for the kids and Ashley Tisdale in a bikini for the adults. Other than that, nothing new here. 3 out of 5 stars.

--------

Bio Zombie aka Sun faa sau si

I wanted to love this movie. It was listed as one part 'Dawn of the Dead' and one part 'Shaun of the Dead'. Yes, it takes place in a mall and yes, it is supposed to be a comedy.... but that's where the comparisons end. It's not a terrible movie, it's just not nearly as good as everyone says it is. 3 out of 5 stars.

--------

Return Of The Living Dead 2

I LOVE the orignal! The sequel isn't 100% up to snuff, but it's still a mighty fine flick and a better than average zombie movie, for sure. It carries on the silly stuff that went on in the original, but doesn't skimp on the bloody stuff. If you like part 1, you need to watch part 2 and 3. 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment