Monday, October 10, 2011

Joel's Top 25 Horror Films For Halloween: remaining comedy/horror nominations and honorable mentions....

DISCLAIMER: Joel's 'Top 25 Horror Films For Halloween' was just for fun. It's tied in with my 'Top 50 Films Of All Time' list and was requested by my good friend Sheena. This list is actually a direct tie in to episode 3 of 'The Sunshine Happy Kpants Hour'. On that show, I go down this list and detail out my thoughts on these films and why they're included. I will also have a follow up post to this one, that ties in with the show as well. It's a list of honorable mentions and horror/comedies that are awesome, but didn't fit on this list. If you disagree, that's okay. These are strictly my opinions and mine alone. I'm posting these early in the month, so you have time to work your way through the list before Halloween.... if you're so inclined. Anyway, that's it. Let's get it on! Here's the leftovers! (In no particular order)

--------

American Psycho

I don't know if I qualify this as a horror film, so much as a serial killer film. Either way, I freakin' love this film.

--------

Funny Games (2007)

I like this shot for shot remake, better than the original. And I feel that it's okay to say that, as the original director remade this version. If you haven't seen this, you should.... it's harsh and pretty amazing.

--------

Let Me In

Here's another remake. It's not as good as the original, but it's heads and shoulders above a lot of other junk out there right now. I recommend watching the original, 'Let The Right One In' first.... but don't neglect this version, it's still pretty damn good.

--------

Rosemary's Baby

If you don't like films with a 'slow burn', then you probably won't like this one. However, if you're familiar with 70's horror and how they're designed.... then this is one you need to see. I have been a fan of 'Rosemary's Baby' for as long as I can remember and am proud to have it in my collection.

--------

Saw

This is a franchise that kind of came out of nowhere. And even if it eventually turned into a giant, bloody soap opera.... I still dig every single one of them. End of story. Your move, Jigsaw.

--------

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning

The first two, original, TCM's were great. I enjoyed both of them, quite a bit. The third installment, 'Leathface' was mediocre. 'The Next Generatoin' was godawful. Then the remakes happened. The first one took a couple of viewings to get into, but the sequel or prequel was pretty sweet. It got me interested in this franchise again. Check em' out before you judge them.

trailer for 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003):

trailer for 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning':

--------

What Lies Beneath

This is the surprise film from my list. Robert Zemeckis created quite the spooky little thriller here and for some reason, I really enjoy it. It actually creeps me out and I feel funny saying that.

--------

The Sixth Sense

M. Night Shyamalan isn't the most popular guy in Hollywood. A lot of people think he was a one trick pony and have written him off. I think he's just misunderstood and that people have their expectations WAY too high for his films. I've enjoyed all of them.... even 'The Happening'. This is the one that started it all (if you don't count 'Wide Awake') and it's a classic.

--------

the 'Resident Evil' films

The 'Resident Evil' films aren't so much horror as they are action. However, they do have zombies and other mutant monsters and are damn fun popcorn flicks. I am deeply in love with this series and can't wait for the fifth one. Word.

trailer for 'Resident Evil':

trailer for 'Resident Evil: Apocalypse':

trailer for 'Resident Evil: Extinction':

trailer for 'Resident Evil: Afterlife':

--------

the 'Paranormal Activity' films

Once again, these films creep me out. The 'found footage' thing is kind of getting played out, but I still enjoy putting these in and getting a little creeped out. The 4th one (3rd American one) is coming out soon and I can't wait.

trailer for 'Paranormal Activity':

trailer for 'Paranormal Activity 2':

trailer for 'Paranormal Activity: Tokyo Night':

--------

I Spit On Your Grave (2010)

Rape movies aren't my thing and the original was basically just that. This updated version is much more, in my opinion. The performance of Sarah Butler is what sells the whole story and by the end, you want to take part in the revenge killings. I'd spit on their graves too.

--------

the 'Cold Prey' aka 'Fritt Vilt' films

You might not have ever heard of these Norwegian slasher films, but I hope that after you read this or listen to my show, you'll look em' up and watch them right away. There isn't a huge amount of new ground being covered in these films, but they're so damn well done that they can't be denied. I would equate them with a Norwegian version of the original 'Halloween' films. Right down to the second one being set entirely in a hospital. Go, watch, now.

trailer for 'Cold Prey' aka 'Fritt Vilt':

trailer for 'Cold Prey 2' aka 'Fritt Vilt II':

trailer for 'Cold Prey 3' aka 'Fritt Vilt III':

--------

That was the best of the rest and now I'm going to list some kick ass films for Halloween, but that are more along the lines of comedy/horror. Again, they're not in any particular order. ENJOY!

--------

Thankskilling

Just in time for Halloween, comes a film about Thanksgiving. This film is so bad that it's good again. It's obviously a puppet and they just don't care. I've seen this multiple times and it just keeps getting better. GOBBLE GOBBLE!

--------

Planet Terror

You all know that I love my zombie films and this one is one of a kind. It's right on the border between serious and funny, but don't let that fool you into thinking that it's not a real film. I think that Robert Rodriguez created something truly unique and kick ass. Oh and Bruce Willis.

--------

Shaun Of The Dead

Again, zombies! One of the best satire/horror films ever made. Edgar Wright, Nick Frost and Simon Pegg used this film to establish themselves as some of the most amazing film making trio of recent times. This isn't just a comedy or a horror film, it's the best of everything. I'm sure you've already seen it, but damn it.... watch it again and again and again and again....

--------

Bad Taste

Two things.... first, Peter Jackson used to make amazing, low budger horror films back before 'The Lord of the Rings' happened and he was really good at it. Second, this is a guy's film. Not that girls can't watch it, but it's totally a guy flick.... 100%. It has everything from aliens, people eating vomit, brains falling out of heads, dead birds, machine guns, sheep getting blown up with rocket launchers and Peter Jackson playing duel roles. I can't say enough good things about 'Bad Taste'. Rent it. Hell, buy it.

--------

The Return Of The Living Dead

In direct response to 'Night of the Living Dead', came the comedy counter part, 'The Return of the Living Dead'. I can watch this film anytime, anywhere. It's extremely entertaining and enjoyable. It is also the start of the whole "BRAINS!" thing.

--------

Zombieland

The final film on this list is, of course, a zombie film. Probably the most popular zombie film of the past decade and also the most popular. It has a great cast, a great script and Bill 'f'ing' Murray. I have heard sequel talks, but nothing firm yet. Let's keep our hopes up!

That's it, folks. I hope you found some new stuff here to check out and were somewhat entertained. Check out the actual show for more info on this list and as an audio guide while reading this. See ya next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment