Friday, August 26, 2011

my thoughts on.... 'Drive Angry'

So.... you want to watch 'Drive Angry'? Why yes, yes I did. Actually, I heard so many mixed things about this movie I was a bit hesitant. A lot of it was negative, but I have to say that I think a lot of it was either ungrounded or due to overly high expectations. If you walk into 'Drive Angry' with an open mind and the desire to see something new and fun, then you'll walk out happy. It is a prime example of over the top, balls out, big and silly, dumb and mindless fun. This movie does not claim to be Shakespeare or anything classic. 'Drive Angry' just is what it is, unapologetic. I'm actually kind of surprised it got the greenlight. It is an oddball story that might not fly with everyone. However, I would expect no less from the writer, Todd Farmer ('My Bloody Valentine 3D' and 'Jason X') and director Patrick Lussier ('My Bloody Valentine 3D' and the upcoming 'Halloween 3D'). Maybe that's why it got such mixed reviews? I personally feel that it had to do with 2 things. 1) the CGI leaves a bit to be desired and 2) Nicholas Cage is kind of over the top in the the best way. He usually shines when he's playing oddball, out of control characters. There also is quite a few people who don't feel that he's a good action hero and should stop making these types of movies. I agree, in some respects as he is getting older and sometimes seems kind out of place. (see 'Bangkok Dangerous')(which I haven't seen yet, just the trailer.) Anyway....

Here's the strange, yet funtastic plot: (from IMBD.com) "John Milton is up against the clock: Jonah King, the leader of a Satanic cult, has murdered Milton's daughter and kidnapped her baby. In three days, King and his followers will sacrifice the child at midnight. Milton picks up the trail in Oklahoma as well as rescuing a waitress named Piper from her brutal, two-timing fiancé. There are odd things about Milton: his driver's license is out of date, he has a very strange gun, and he's being pursued by a man in a suit who carries FBI ID and calls himself the Accountant. Piper, who's lived a life on the sidelines, has to piece things together on the fly as they close in on King." What they failed to mention there is that there is some serious other wordly stuff going on. As in heaven and hell kind of stuff. That's all I'm going to say about that.Well, it's obvious that I dug this popcorn flick. From start to finish, it was a damn fun ride that I would love to take again. Even with all of it's little flaws and unbelievable action, you can't help but just lose yourself in all the goofiness. I was actually kind of sad to see it end. If I was to classify this movie, I would absolutely call it a "man" movie. It's chock full of muscle cars, big guns, half naked chicks, good vs. evil and blood guts and gore. What more can you ask for out of a movie? Really, what more can you ask? Nothing.

At the end of the day, I ultimately can only cough up 3 out of 5 stars for it. I would seriously give it 4 out of 4 if it wasn't for two things. 1) The horrible CGI in the opening sequence. It was just so obvious and dumb that it felt like an entirely seperate movie. Kind of like the CGI in Disney's 'Aladdin'. (minus the flying carpet.) 2) The horrible CGI at the end of the movie. It's exactly as bad as the stuff from the beginning. I mean, I watched 'Battle: Los Angeles' and 'Skyline recently.... two movies that also have questionable reputations as good movies. However, they both have pretty killer CGI. Why can't this movie have spent a little more time getting quality people to work on it, rather than just settle for CGI from 1996? Ah well, I'm just picking on the little stuff at this point. I just say that you watch it with an open mind and a lack of expectations and you'll feel good when it's over. That's all I have to say about that.

If you like this, check out.... hmmmm, I'm at a loss for other movies like this one. I guess, just re-watch 'Drive Angry' again.

No comments:

Post a Comment