Saturday, August 10, 2013

A Short List Of Movies Or Films Without Full Reviews: part 17

As a lover of cinema, I watch a lot of stuff. Sadly, I don't have the time, energy or even desire to write reviews for everything I see. Rather than to just continue to let these movies sit on a list, I've decided to post them here with a rating and maybe a little word or two. If you trust my judgement or agree with me on my decisions, then maybe this will be helpful to you in finding some keen new stuff to watch. I think it will also free up my mind a bit to see a much shorter list of things to review in the future. That being said, here we go!

--------

Safe House

It's no secret that I have a mancrush on Ryan Reynolds. I also love Denzel Washington. Put the two of them together and what do you get? A decent little action/thriller and not much more. I enjoyed it, but probably don't need to ever see it again.

3 out of 5 stars


--------

Below Zero

Edward Furlong has been around quite a while now, but never got the career that everyone was expecting him to have. Instead, he's just doing little movies here and there and looking kind of beat up. I still like him and watch the stuff he makes. This one was decent. Fairly original and a little weird, just like I like it. I'd give it a whirl.... if you like any of the things I've mentioned. P.S. Michael Berryman.

3 out of 5 stars.


--------

The Jeffrey Dahmer Files

The trailer for this looked pretty interesting. However, Mr. Dahmer isn't all the exciting. His crimes were horrific and a fascinating character study. But for whatever reason, he is terribly dull. This documentary continues to carry on that realization.

2 out of 5 stars.


--------

Horrible Bosses

An above average comedy. I enjoyed this quite a bit more than I expected I would. It might not be a "classic" like 'Dumb and Dumber' or 'Anchorman', but it's certainly not forgettable. Watch it and laugh.

3 out of 5 stars.

--------

Compliance

The people who've seen 'Compliance' talk about how difficult it is to watch. Not because it's bad, but because of the horrible things that happen during the course of the movie. I could see where some people might feel that way. While I was watching it, all I felt was anger at all of the real people involved.... for being so stupid. Not to discount the things that happened, but use some common sense folks! End of story. Not a bad movie though.

3 out of 5 stars.


--------

The Last Exorcism part II

I didn't love the first one, right out of the gate. Ashley Bell, the star, is what sold the movie. After a second viewing, I came to enjoy it quite a bit more. The sequel.... not so much. This one was watchable once, but the end was pretty bad and the whole thing needed a lot of work. It's a slapdash sequel, nothing more. Jeffery Combs, why have you forsaken me?

2 out of 5 stars.

--------

Night of the Living Dead 3D: Re-animated

Good lord, this was awful. Please, please, please stop pissing all over whatever good is left in the original 'Night of the Living Dead'. There was nothing good about this travesty of film making. Nothing.

1 out of 5 stars.

--------

The Switch

I love Jason Bateman, who doesn't? This movie was okay. Nothing great, nothing bad.... just kind of bland. The concept was original, but it just wasn't enough to carry the whole story. Watch once and forget it. The end.

3 out of 5 stars.

--------

The Man With The Iron Fists

Quentin Tarantino was in talks with the RZA to include his blacksmith character from this movie in his magnum opus, 'Django Unchained'. That never happened. This movie did, however. It had tons of potential and was tons better than most of the stuff that comes out these days. I enjoyed the ride and would consider adding it to my movie collection. The only thing is, this movie didn't stick with me. Everyone in it was great. The story was interesting. The action was spot on. There is very little to gripe about with this movie. With all of that being said, it was missing that little bit of spark that could have brought it to life. Perhaps it was the RZA's choice to take on the lead role? I'm not sure. No matter what, I'd still recommend this to fans of old school kung-fu flicks and those with a taste for bloody action flicks. This one is a whole lot of fun and Russell Crowe steals the show. Sit back, make some popcorn and enjoy!

4 out of 5 stars.


--------

Silent House

I remember watching the original version of this movie called 'La Casa Muda'. It kept me on the edge of my seat and did so all the way up until the end. The ending was a bit of a let down, but the rest of the movie more than made up for it. When I heard that were making an American remake, I was apprehensive. However.... I've always said that I have no problems with remakes. I just didn't understand the need for one only a couple of years later. Either way, this American version had a lot of the same flavor and flair as the original, but didn't provide the scares. The ending left me feeling hollow and incomplete and I just didn't think it did as much as it could have. Overall, it was a decent little pot boiler. Forgettable though.

3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment