Saturday, July 21, 2012

A Short List Of Movies Or Films Without Full Reviews: part 12

As a lover of cinema, I watch a lot of stuff. Sadly, I don't have the time, energy or even desire to write reviews for everything I see. Rather than to just continue to let these movies sit on a list, I've decided to post them here with a rating and maybe a little word or two. If you trust my judgement or agree with me on my decisions, then maybe this will be helpful to you in finding some keen new stuff to watch. I think it will also free up my mind a bit to see a much shorter list of things to review in the future. That being said, here we go!

--------

Rampart

I love Woody Harrelson. I enjoy "bad cop" movies. This combination of both didn't work so well. We're not really made to care about the main character or anyone else in the movie. Everything is slowly paced and kind of dull. There isn't really much to enjoy here and in the end.... it just ends. No solid ending to the story, just credits. Not recommended. 2 out of 5 stars


--------

Autopsy

After taking a healthy break from horror movies, I finally decided it was time to dive back in. This movie was the first one that popped on my radar, so I gave it a shot. That was the wrong decision. Perhaps my mind was so out of whack after not watching anything scary in a long time? The point is: this movie sucked rocks. There was nothing good about this movie other than the location of the hospital. And the ending? It was some of the worst garbage I've seen in years. If this pops up on your radar, delete it and forget you ever heard of it. Awful, terrible, crappy, junk. 1 out of 5 stars.


--------

Blank City

This documentary is about the indie film movement of the 80's. It's interesting if you're a film buff, but the average movie goer will more than likely get bored. This wasn't too bad for what it was. Something felt like it was lacking, I'm just not sure what it was. Watch, if you enjoy any of the people in the documentaries movies. 3 out of 5 stars.


--------

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead

There was all of the ingredients here for a classic piece of crime cinema. What we got instead was another generic movie. It felt re-hashed and uninspired. Like Ethan Hawke and Phillip Seymour Hoffman were just sleepwalking their way through the script. The big push for this movie was that the director Sidney Lumet, was 84 years old when he directed it. This was his final movie. Sadly, it wasn't his grand final opus.... but it's still worth your time. 3 out of 5 stars.

--------

Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

I put this movie off for a long time. I've never quite figured out why I waited, but I'm not sure it would have been any better or worse, no matter when I watched it. This was based on a comic and I'm fairly certain that it was supposed to be turned into a franchise movie series. It's just so forgettable. I tried and tried to really love it, but it just fell flat. For some reason, all of the elements on their own, work really well. The problem is, when they're put together, they seem to cancel each other out. 'Dylan Dog: Dead of Night' isn't the worst comic adaptation ever, but keep your expectations really low. 3 out of 5 stars.


--------

The Oregonian

My hopes for this were high. What I got was one of the worst movie going experiences I've ever had. This movie was trying so hard to be a David Lynch film, that it had no identity of its own. It was boring, difficult to watch, complete nonsense and basically a turd on tape. I cannot express how much I disliked this movie. If you see a copy in the store, burn it. 0 out of 5 stars.

--------

Shark Night

Just like 'The Oregonian', this was garbage. I was anxious to watch this as Joel David Moore was in it and the lovely Sara Paxton. There was nothing that either one of them could have done to improve this piece of crap. I was hoping for something along the lines of 'Deep Blue Sea' or 'Piranha 3D', instead.... I was given a complete waste of time and talent. Don't waste your time on this, unless you're using it for prisoner torture or you're a masochist. Ugh. 1 out of 5 stars.

--------

Superheroes

With all of the superhero films out there these days, it seems that real life superheroes are on the rise. This documentary introduces us to quite a few of the ones out there. There were a few omissions of some of the more well known superheroes, but it was entertaining none the less. These interesting characters seem to walk the fine line between cool and crazy. Some of them you believed had the potential to really do some good, some seemed to just be in it for the fame and some actually were crazy. The one that left the best impression on me was Zimmer. If I was to make a comic book about a real life superhero, he would be my leading man. If you have any interest in this topic at all, 'Superheroes' is a great place to start your research. 3 out of 5 stars.

--------

Madison County

Why oh why don't I hate this movie? There was nothing original about it. The story was extremely weak. The acting was sub-par. But.... it was worth my time to watch it. There was just something about it. Perhaps it was the cinematography? Or the bad guy? I don't know. All I do know, is that if you enjoy slasher flicks, this is one to check out. 3 out of 5 stars.


--------

The Devil Inside

Finally, 'The Devil Inside'.... Yes, it's another found footage movie. Yes, it feels and looks like most of the other found footage movies. There were moments of good and a few brief moments of awesome. In the end, if you can call it that, the whole thing just crapped the bed. I honestly had to rewind the movie to make sure that it actually ended and I hadn't missed something. Even after confirming that the movie had ended, I still felt sincerely cheated. Why couldn't they keep up the good pace they had going? This could have been great, but instead it just fell flat. Flat on its face. 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment