Monday, September 12, 2011

my thoughts on.... 'Priest' (2011)

Did you see the movie 'Legion' starring Paul Bettany and directed by Scott Stewart? Well, if you did and you liked it, then you'll probably enjoy 'Priest'. If you did didn't like it, then you probably won't like 'Priest'. They're not the same movies, but they have the same star and the same director. They are similar in theme and tone, but are still two fairly different movies. One is a pre-apocalyptic movie about angels doing battle for the child that will save humanity.... very religiously themed. The other, is about priests that are fighting vampires in a post-apocalyptic world.... also very religiously themed. See the basic connections? Anyway....

I enjoyed 'Legion'. I thought it was a decent action flick with decent fight scenes and a decent plot. All of that decent-ness led me to believe that I would enjoy 'Priest' as well. Paul Bettany makes a pretty good action star and seems to enjoy the work. The vampires were kind of a new twist on an old theme. They were much more animalistic and a whole hell of a lot less romantic. They are more monster than human and their familiars are also very basic. The vampires kind of reminded me of the villans in 'I Am Legend' in their design. All CGI and quite 'monster-ish'. Now, our hero is a priest who formerly helped to destory the vampires in a war with them and other priests. Sadly, after the war ended they were all basically thought of as second class citizens. Now the vampires have a new leadership and are planning to take over again, but our hero catches wind and goes to stop them, along with help from some other priests. I didn't mean to give up the plot there, it just kind of happened.All in all, this movie qualifies as a typical popcorn flick. One that you don't have to think to much about. You just put it on, crank up the surround sound and get lost for an hour and a half. No more, no less. Because of it being one of those kinds of movies, I can only see my way clear of giving it 3 out of 5 stars. That doesn't mean it's bad, it just means that you shouldn't expect too much. It's fun and pointless and leaves itself open for sequels.

I won't be owning this one, I don't think.... but I'm glad I saw it and hope that Bettany and Stewart keep making movies together, they make a good team. I don't know if this and 'Legion' will appeal to everyone, but if you go into them with no expectations and little bit of childhood enthusiasm, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

If you like this, also check out: 'Legion', 'Underworld' and 'Resident Evil'

No comments:

Post a Comment