Monday, May 14, 2012

A Short List Of Movies Or Films Without Full Reviews: part 11

As a lover of cinema, I watch a lot of stuff. Sadly, I don't have the time, energy or even desire to write reviews for everything I see. Rather than to just continue to let these movies sit on a list, I've decided to post them here with a rating and maybe a little word or two. If you trust my judgement or agree with me on my decisions, then maybe this will be helpful to you in finding some keen new stuff to watch. I think it will also free up my mind a bit to see a much shorter list of things to review in the future. That being said, here we go!

--------

Easter Bunny, Kill! Kill!

This movie, if you can call it that, is TERRIBLE. I kept wondering why I wasn't turning it off, but I stuck it out to the end. I was so happy when the credits rolled. This is pointless, worthless and god awful. 1 out of 5 stars


--------

Hatchet II

I was really lukewarm on the original 'Hatchet'. I think the major hype around it, kind of killed it for me. Because of that, I stayed away from this for a long time.... which was a shame. I think I finally got all the hype once I saw this one. Perhaps it was Danielle Harris stepping in? I don't know. The end result was that I became a fan of Adam Green and the 'Hatchet' films. I can't wait for another one! 4 out of 5 stars.


--------

Cyrus: Mind of a Serial Killer

You're going to notice a theme here: Danielle Harris. I have to admit, that being a lover of Rob Zombie's 'Halloween' remakes, has made me a Danielle Harris fan. She was the star of this movie and it was a worthwhile watch, with or without her in it. The material may not be 100% fresh and original, in some parts it even feels a bit stale. It's still a well put together movie that I'm glad I saw.... once. 3 out of 5 stars.


--------

The Book Of Eli

The Hughes Brothers are some talented guys. Their first couple of movies are damn good. This one got mixed reviews. My feelings were positive overall. I like the world created, I like the characters and I like the story. Some of it felt a little forced or preachy, but it was still a pretty good post-apocalyptic romp.... with a twist. 3 out of 5 stars.

--------

Stake Land

After the all out disaster that was 'Mulberry St', I had little hope for anything good from this movie. (Made by the same folks) I have to say that it was a step in the right direction and perhaps their next movie will be even better. This one just felt disjointed and slow. The actors were all pretty good, the plot was interesting and the design was cool. It just never grabbed a hold and once it ended, I had already forgotten about it. You may feel otherwise, so check it out.... just keep your expectations low. 3 out of 5 stars. BRAINS!


--------

Wild Zero

Finding unique zombie movies, is like finding hay in a needle stack. The market is flooded with one after another and that makes it saturated with more bad than good ones. 'Wild Zero' stands out as a better than average zombie flick and an original one, for sure. It came out in 2000, so before the big zombie rush of the past few years. I don't know if I can put into words exactly what's going on in it, but it is one that you have to add to your 'Bucket List' for movies. 4 out of 5 stars.

--------

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

After 3 pretty solid films, it's a given that they'll be a misstep. This is that misstep. It had all the elements that made the first ones good.... all but one very important one. Virtually NONE of the original actors were in this. Not even the minor characters that didn't have much screen time, but were fan favorites. It's basically Barbosa, Jack Sparrow and the guy with the mutton chops. Other than that, it's a little bit of Keith Richards and a lot of kind of boring storytelling. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either.... not by a long shot. I hope that if they do decide on another one, that they get everybody back. Because, if they don't, the 'Pirates' are going to sink. 3 out of 5 stars.

--------

Creepshow 2

Horror anthologies have never been my thing. I always liked the original 'Creepshow' though. This one holds a fond place in my heart, due to nostalgia, but it's not the best sequel ever. It has its good moments and bad ones. It feels very dated and the stories are kind of so-so. All in all, better than the 3rd installment, but mostly just for the die hard fans. 3 out of 5 stars.

--------

Bucky Larson: Born To Be A Star

Don't listen to the hype, I really enjoyed this one and thought it was pretty damn fun. It's not 'Orgazmo', but I still think it's worth your time to check it out. Happy Madison Productions doesn't make stuff I don't dig. That is all. 3 out of 5 stars.


--------

Push

A superhero movie for people who don't need capes and costumes. Well done, interesting characters, good action, good actors and a nice change of pace from all the upbeat hero flicks. I would recommend this one to anybody who likes decent action movies with a bit of "super" added for fun. 3 out of 5 stars.

2 comments: