Thursday, July 26, 2012

A Short List Of Movies Or Films Without Full Reviews: part 15

As a lover of cinema, I watch a lot of stuff. Sadly, I don't have the time, energy or even desire to write reviews for everything I see. Rather than to just continue to let these movies sit on a list, I've decided to post them here with a rating and maybe a little word or two. If you trust my judgement or agree with me on my decisions, then maybe this will be helpful to you in finding some keen new stuff to watch. I think it will also free up my mind a bit to see a much shorter list of things to review in the future. That being said, here we go!

--------

Cars 2

This movie got a lot of flack after it was released. I really don't know why? My feeling was that it was a wonderful follow up to the original. It felt like they weren't trying to just copy the original. Granted, they played up a lot for the fans love of Mater, but what did you expect? I loved it, own it and think it was an example of what I dreamed my cars could do back when I was a kid. Didn't you have Hot Wheels that did some amazing things that actual cars could never do? That's pretty much what happened in 'Cars 2'. It was a giant fantasy for kids and adults. Our playtime imagination brought to life. Re-watch it with those eyes and tell me if you still feel that it wasn't as good as the first. 4 out of 5 stars


--------

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS RIGHT NOW? It's still on Netflix OnDemand and is well worth your time. This movie took me by surprise and is such a breath of fresh air. A movie where it's a horror/comedy, but in a totally new way. Think 'Final Destination' meets 'The Andy Griffith Show' or something. Such a strange and fun little movie, that I am wondering why I haven't watched it again. This is one that I will own someday and will cherish. It's not quite up to 'Evil Dead 2' status, but it's damn close. Go. Now. Watch! 4 out of 5 stars. (This movie really should have had a full review, but I need to clean up my backlog of movies to talk about.)


--------

Furry Vengeance

You may be saying, "Why would you watch this?" Well, I have kids. Honestly, it wasn't that bad. It won't win any Oscar's or anything, but it's fun. The cast seems to be enjoying themselves and it's pretty harmless. Not too mention that the kids loved the music. Recommended for people with kids. 3 out of 5 stars.


--------

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

My fellow contributor to this blog and cousin, Doc Stout, will probably not be happy with me for this.... but I wasn't super impressed with this movie. I love Edgar Wright. I love some of the cast. I even really enjoyed the music, but I just couldn't get into this movie. I'm not a Jason Schwartzman fan and he always reminds me of those awful Wes Anderson movies. Ugh. I enjoyed this for what it was and might come to love it with repeated viewings. However, that might take a while before I have any desire to sit through it again. This is totally dismissing any ties to the original comics. I never read them, so I can't compare or judge based on that. I'm strictly making this verdict based on what was presented on the screen. Nothing more. I think this movies is for fans of the comics, mostly. 2 out of 5 stars. (For now.)

--------

The Wizard of Gore (2007)

No, this is not the Herschell Gordon Lewis gore splattered classic. This is 'The Wizard of Gore' for a new generation. I honestly wanted to hate this movie. I even tried to hate it, but it's so strange and interesting that I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. Crispin Glover is brilliant, as usual. Kip Purdue is out of character and does quite well. The director, Jeremy Kasten, creates a surreal vision of the original and it works beautifully. Where the original gave me no real reason to watch it a second time, this one did. There was so much going on that I almost feel like I have to watch it again to catch everything. Highly recommended for genre fans. For everyone else, this might not be your cup of tea. 4 out of 5 stars.


--------

The Dead

Another zombie movie? Really? That's what I'm guessing 95% of the population was saying when they saw these released. What they may not have said was, "Wow. Another zombie movie!" Which is what they should have said. This movie was a bit of a fresh take on things. You still have shambling zombies everywhere and things are extremely bleak, but that has to happen. What sets it apart is the setting and the cast. This takes place in such a desolate and impoverished area and the whole political climate is polar opposite to anything else we've seen. It puts a whole new spin on an old theme. There is nothing not to like about 'The Dead'. The only possible things that may turn off certain viewers is the pacing at times and the poorly thought out title. Sadly, if you look it up, you get 1,000's of other things with the same two words: 'The Dead'. Other than that? A winner in my book. 4 out of 5 stars.

--------

Red (2010)

I had absolutely no idea what to expect from 'Red' when I turned it on. What I got was an awesome thrill ride with an amazing cast, killer action and a damn fun story! This film is one of my favorite action/comedies of the past decade. It has something for everyone and should satisfy even the most jaded viewers. What's not to like? 4 out of 5 stars.

--------

Chromeskull: Laid To Rest 2

'The original 'Laid To Rest' was an indie blood fest that was kind of a gory little surprise to everyone who saw it. There was no fanfare or glory for this movie. It just crept up on everyone like the 'Little Engine That Could', if that engine had a video camera, a giant hunting knife, tons of cash and a wicked chrome skull mask. This is the sequel to that original gem. I can't say that I hated it, but it did feel a little short. The background story was great and gave Chromskull a lot more depth. Some of the stuff going on in the movie was awesome. It still kept many of the things that made the first one great, but it just didn't feel the same. Watch only if you're a fan of the first. 3 out of 5 stars.

--------

Cats & Dogs

Again, I watched this because of the kids. Not great, not terrible. I don't need to ever see it again. 2 out of 5 stars.


--------

Dear Mr. Gacy

Low budget serial killer movie, based on a real story. I rather enjoyed seeing this strange true crime story brought to life. William Forsythe was fantastic as John Wayne Gacy. He gave me a serious case of the heeby jeebys and that's a compliment. If you think you've seen every serial killer movie on the shelf, I'm betting you haven't seen this one. It's not your traditional story line, but that's what makes it great. You can check all your expectations at the door and just enjoy the ride like everyone else. I'm glad that this diamond in the rough finally showed up on my radar. Hopefully I've put it on yours now too. 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment